Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Global Warming Causes Male Frogs to Lay Eggs



Well, not really - but since the environmental movements have been hijacked and no one in media hardly bothers to report on REAL pollution I'd thought I'd stick this little ditty up:

Weed Killer Causes Male Frogs to lay Eggs

Prof. Tyrone Hayes of the University of California, Berkeley, and colleagues reported their findings in this week's Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"Atrazine-exposed males were both demasculinized [chemically castrated] and completely feminized as adults," said Hayes.

Atrazine is widely used by farmers around the world as a herbicide, particularly in production of corn, sorghum and sugar cane.

Earlier studies have found that the chemical feminized zebra fish and leopard frogs, and caused a significant decline in sperm production in male salmon and caiman lizards.

"Atrazine exposure is highly correlated with low sperm count, poor semen quality and impaired fertility in humans," said Hayes and colleagues.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/03/02/tech-frog-weed-killer.html#ixzz0h7K5FR5K


Well, that's one more nail in the coffin for Canadian Corn. Too bad, I used to love corn.

A little more about atrazine:

CCME Atrazine
PAN Pesticide Database: Atrazine

2 comments:

Doug Plumb said...

Corn was my favorite veggie- when soaked in butter and salt. Now I stay away from it too.

I try to stick with mainly root vegetables.

This post reminds me of the DVD I recently watched on Royal Rife. I am reminded of his germ theory where environment and not genetics plays the major role in small cell development.

Magdelena said...

Hi Doug, I agree I LOVED corn, well I still love it, but dare not eat it unless I know for sure it's organic and local. :(

Hey, I'm joining a sort of 'farm' co-op this year. A group of us will be voluterring labour for FOOD! All organic. We are concentrating of storage crops, tubers, beans etc, but will also have tomatoes, peppers, herbs and such. I'll keep you posted how it goes. The goal is to feed us all and if it works out okay, we might actually entertain some chickens next year!!

I am SO looking forward to this!